This page uses JavaScript. Your browser either does not support JavaScript or you have it turned off. To see this page properly please use a JavaScript enabled browser.
Go to main content
FacebookTwitterInstagram

History of Wildfire Credit Union

Wildfire Credit Union  is a member-owned, not-for-profit financial institution. Founded in 1937 as the Saginaw Telephone Employees Credit Union, we became Communications Family Credit Union in 1984, and in 2009 we changed our name to Wildfire Credit Union.

History:

Wildfire Credit Union, originally known as Saginaw Telephone Employees Credit Union, first began operating on September 9, 1937. Outlined below is the evolution of the credit union from its early beginnings to present:

1937 – 1939

The first credit union office was located in the basement of the home of Hank Koski, credit union treasurer, at 1672 Hanchett, Saginaw, Michigan.

1939 – 1956

The second credit union office was in the Michigan Bell Building, located at 309 S. Washington in downtown Saginaw. Michigan Bell did not charge the credit union for the use of the office, which the credit union used until 1956.

1956 – 1973

Saginaw Telephone Employees credit union moved to a duplex building at 718 S. Washington Avenue, Saginaw. The credit union started by only using half the duplex, but eventually expanded, utilizing the entire building.

1973 – 1977

The credit union office was then moved to 2120 Bay Street, Saginaw for four years.

1977

Saginaw Telephone Employees Credit Union merged with Flint Telephone Employees Credit Union.

1977

Saginaw Telephone Employees Credit Union moved to the current location, 6640 Bay Road, Saginaw.

1984

Saginaw Telephone Employees Credit Union changed its name to Communications Family Credit Union, following the change in membership eligibility, expanded to include employees of communication-related industries, from Flint up to the Mackinac Bridge.

1985

Communications Family Credit Union merged with Bay City Times Credit Union.

1986

The first addition was built onto the office on Bay Road.

1989

Communications Family Credit Union merged with Saginaw News Employees Credit Union.

2000

Second addition was built onto the office on Bay Road.

2002

Opened branch in Heritage High School that operates during lunch hours throughout the school year. A satellite branch was also opened at White Pine Middle School that operates two days a week during the lunch hours when school is in session.

2004

Communications changed its charter to a Community Charter serving the 7 contiguous counties surrounding the main office to include: Saginaw, Bay, Midland, Genesee, Tuscola, Shiawassee and Gratiot counties.

2005

Communications Family Credit Union merged with Midland Area Credit Union, acquiring the MACU office at 917 Saginaw Road in Midland. This is the first public branch of Communications Family Credit Union.

2008

A new Midland branch was built at 100 Joseph Drive, replacing the branch located on Saginaw Road.

2009

In October, 2009 Communications Family Credit Union changed its name to Wildfire Credit Union. At that time the main office lobby on Bay Road was also extensively remodeled to incorporate the new name and branding.

2010

In June 2010, Wildfire Credit Union opened a new branch in Saginaw Township at the corner of State Street and Midland Road.

2010

In October 2010, the credit union opened another new branch in Bay City on Wilder Road. The school branch at White Pine Middle School expanded its services to two days a week.

2011

In January 2011, the credit union added another school branch at John Glenn High School in Bay City. This branch is open to students and staff throughout the school year during the lunch hours. 

2012

In October 2012, our Community Charter now covers 16 additional counties! The additional counties include: Antrim, Arenac, Benzie, Clare, Crawford, Gladwin, Grand Traverse, Iosco, Isabella, Kalkaska, Leelanau, Missaukee, Ogemaw, Otsego, Roscommon, and Wexford.

2012

In November 2012, the credit union added another school branch at Hemmeter Elementary School in Saginaw. This branch is open to students and staff throughout the school year twice a month.

2013

In December 2013, the credit union added on to our Main Branch with a three story expansion for additional employees and to allow for future growth to better serve our members.

2014

In August 2014, the credit union added another school branch at Arrowwood Elementary School in Saginaw. This branch is open to students and staff throughout the school year twice a month.

 

Go to main navigation